Wat een vies gedoe toch

Henk Elegeert HmjE at HOME.NL
Thu Mar 2 11:33:29 CET 2006

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Ger wrote:

> REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl
>
> Video bevestigt kennis Bush van naderende Katrina
> 02 maart 2006, 07:38
> WASHINGTON (ANP) - Een video die woensdag door de Amerikaanse media is
> uitgezonden bevestigt dat de Amerikaanse president Bush al eerder op de
> hoogte was van de naderdende ramp in New Orleans door de orkaan Katrina.
> De video is woensdag, zes maanden na de ramp, vrijgegeven.

En ter aanvulling: ...

http://www.aaas.org/news/releases/2006/0227council.shtml

"
AAAS Council Approves Resolutions on Censorship, New Orleans Researchers

Censorship, intimidation or other restriction on the freedom of
scientists employed or funded by government agencies is inimical to the
advance of science, the Council of the American Association for the
Advancement of Science said in a resolution passed at the 2006 AAAS
Annual Meeting in St. Louis.

The Council, which meets annually to establish general policies for the
science society, applauded a recent statement by NASA Administrator
Michael Griffin that his agency is “committed to open scientific and
technical inquiry and dialogue with the public.”

Griffin has ordered a review of NASA’s public affairs policies following
allegations that political appointees tried to censor statements by
agency scientists, including threats of “dire consequences” against
James E. Hansen, a NASA climate scientist who has long expressed concern
about the potential impact of global warming.

The AAAS Council also applauded a recent statement by Conrad
Lautenbacher Jr., director of the National Oceanic & Atmospheric
Administration, encouraging NOAA scientists “to speak freely and openly.”

In another resolution passed during the St. Louis meeting, which ended
20 February, the Council called on federal research agencies to extend
previous funding and renewal deadlines for faculty members at New
Orleans institutions affected by Hurricane Katrina. The resolution notes
that disruptions caused by the hurricane have prevented faculty members
from completing experiments and grant proposals in time for renewal
applications. The affected institutions include Tulane University,
Dillard University, Louisiana State University and Xavier University.

The text of the resolution on Free and Open Exchange is here and the
text of the resolution on the impact of Hurricane Katrina is here.

Earl Lane

AAAS RESOLUTION ON FREE AND OPEN EXCHANGE

WHEREAS the advance of science depends on the free and open exchange of
data and findings among scientists; and

WHEREAS the capacity of members of the public and their representatives
in government to understand and effectively address many of the most
important policy issues of our time depends on access to the relevant
science; and

WHEREAS a substantial fraction of this science is done in governmental
agencies or is funded by them; and

WHEREAS censorship, intimidation, or other restriction on the freedom of
scientists employed or funded by governmental organizations to
communicate their unclassified scientific findings and assessments not
only to each other but also to policymakers and to the public is
inimical to the advance of science and its appropriate application in
the policy domain;

BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED by the Council of the American Association for
the Advancement of Science that such censorship, intimidation, and
restriction are inappropriate.

WE APPLAUD in this connection the recent statement of NASA Administrator
Mike Griffin that NASA is “committed to open scientific and technical
inquiry and dialogue with the public” and that of NOAA Director Conrad
Lautenbacher Jr. encouraging NOAA scientists “to speak freely and openly.”

Approved by the AAAS Council on February 19, 2006

[return to top]

RESOLUTION FROM MEDICAL SCIENCES SECTION

WHEREAS, Hurricane Katrina and the subsequent floods caused
unprecedented disruption in research at Tulane University, Dillard
University, Louisiana State University, Xavier University and other New
Orleans institutions, and

WHEREAS, the faculty and administration of these institutions are
working valiantly to re-establish their research capabilities; and

WHEREAS, specific faculty with federal research grants have been unable
to complete experiments and grant proposals in time for renewal
applications;

BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED by the Council that AAAS call upon the federal
research agencies to grant an extraordinary extension of previous
funding and renewal deadlines, as determined appropriate by the agencies
after consultation with the affected institutions.

Approved by the AAAS Council on February 20, 2006
"

.. over wat er daaarna gebeurd ....

Henk Elegeert