Alweer een PM in de lappenmand

Henk Elegeert hmje at HOME.NL
Thu Sep 30 23:48:27 CEST 2004

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

  Blair to undergo heart treatment
Tony Blair is to be admitted to hospital on Friday for a
procedure to correct a heart problem.

The prime minister will be fitted with a device to steady an
irregular heartbeat, which has returned in the past two months.

In an interview with the BBC, Mr Blair said he still
intended to serve a full third term in office if elected.

But he told BBC political editor Andrew Marr he had no
intention of serving a fourth term.

        If I am elected I would serve a full third term. I do not
want to serve a fourth term.
Tony Blair
UK prime minister
Mr Blair will undergo the non-surgical procedure under local
anaesthetic.

His cardiologist says patients usually spend the night in
hospital and are back at work within two to three days.

Asked what the heart "flutter" was like Mr Blair said: "It's
not particularly alarming but it's just something you should
get fixed and so it's what they call a routine procedure
that'll be done tomorrow."

Full term

He added: "I've actually had it for the last couple of
months and it's obviously not impeded me doing my work and
feeling fine but it's as well to get it done.

"It fixes it which is the main thing"

Mr Blair, who first exhibited symptoms of an irregular
heartbeat in October 2003, which was treated with a
different procedure - a cardioversion, insisted it would not
mean an end to his political career.

He said: "I think I can still make a real contribution to
this country.

"I think it is unusual but I think the political process and
the public in particular are mature enough to accept that
it's a sensible thing to declare your intention to fight the
third term, to declare that you're going to stand a full
term and you're not suddenly going to give up a few months
or year or so into the Parliament."

Gordon Brown

He went on: "The decision as to who is the prime minister of
the country is the decision of the British people - they're
the boss...

"But if I am elected I would serve a full third term. I do
not want to serve a fourth term.

        I don't think it rules Gordon out in any shape or form at
all - he'd be younger than many prime ministers have been if
he took over at the end of a third term
Tony Blair
UK prime minister

"I don't think the British people would want a prime
minister to go on that long but I think it's sensible to
make plain my intention now."

Asked whether his intention to stay on as PM was in some way
unfair to Gordon Brown, Mr Blair said: "I have huge respect
for Gordon ... There's lots of people who want to do the job
and I think he's very capable of doing it, don't
misunderstand me at all.

"I don't think it rules Gordon out in any shape or form at
all - he'd be younger than many prime ministers have been if
he took over at the end of a third term."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3705684.stm

Published: 2004/09/30 21:33:04 GMT