Verontrustende berichten over softwarepatenten

Martijn Meijering mmeijeri at XS4ALL.NL
Mon Dec 13 20:06:26 CET 2004

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

> Welnee Martijn. Ik had juist pas geleden vernomen dat de hele EU
> discussie over softwarepatenten helemaal over wordt gedaan. De discussie
> begint dus pas, formeel gezien. En dat Brinkhorst nu niet ineens van
> mening verandert lijkt me logisch.
>
> Groeten,
> Mark Giebels

Hallo Mark,

Dat die discussie overgedaan zou moeten worden na de ommezwaai van Polen
had ik ook begrepen. Maar wat ik nu lees, doet me weer twijfelen. Ik hoop
dat je gelijk hebt, maar dit is wat ik via via op Slashdot lees:

THE Dutch presidency says it expects a hard-fought deal between member
states on a draft law on computer-implemented patents to be approved
next month, despite threats from Poland to change its mind.

Dutch presidency spokesman Joop Nijsson said that the Poles were only
allowed to tidy up linguistic mistakes made by 'jurist linguists' in
the Council of Ministers, whose task is to ensure that legal texts
mean the same thing in all languages.

Nijsson said that there was no possibility for governments to make
wholesale changes to their May agreement at this stage. That
opportunity would fall to MEPs - who must prepare a second reading of
the law from December.

He said that it would be a decision agreed without debate at a
forthcoming Council meeting. "We have been reading stuff and had lots
of informal contacts. But we have not had any formal request from the
Poles to change their position," he said.