Counterterrorism

Henk Elegeert HmjE at HOME.NL
Thu Sep 20 23:10:26 CEST 2001

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Bronnen:

http://www.state.gov/s/ct/
Counterterrorism Office

"
U.S. Counterterrorism Policy

First, make no concessions to terrorists and strike no deals;
Second, bring terrorists to justice for their crimes;
Third, isolate and apply pressure on states that sponsor terrorism to
force them to change their behavior; and
Fourth, bolster the counterterrorism capabilities of those countries
that work with the U.S. and require assistance.
"

http://www.state.gov/s/ct/index.cfm?id=4291

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2001/index.cfm?docid=4975&CFNoCache=TRUE&printfriendly=true

"
PRESS STATEMENT
     Richard Boucher, Spokesman
     Washington, DC
     September 20, 2001

     U.S.- EU Ministerial Statement on Combating Terrorism

     Following is the text of the joint U.S.-EU Ministerial statement on
combating terrorism:

     "In the coming days, weeks and months, the United States and the
European Union will work in partnership in a broad coalition to combat
the evil of terrorism. We will act jointly to expand and improve this
cooperation worldwide. Those responsible for the recent attacks must be
tracked down and held to account. We will mount a comprehensive,
systematic and sustained effort to eliminate international terrorism --
its leaders, its actors, its networks. Those responsible for aiding,
supporting or harboring the perpetrators, organizers and sponsors of
these acts will be held accountable. Given the events of September 11,
2001 it is imperative that we continue to develop practical measures to
prevent terrorists from operating.

     "Our resolve is a reflection of the strength of the U.S.-EU
relationship, our shared values, and our determination to address
together the new challenges we face. The nature of our democratic
societies makes it imperative to protect our citizens from terrorist
acts, while at the same time protecting their individual liberties, due
process, and the rule of law. The U.S. and the EU are committed to
enhancing security measures, legislation and enforcement. We will work
together to encourage greater cooperation in international fora and
wider implementation of international instruments. We will also
cooperate in global efforts to bring to justice perpetrators of past
attacks and to eliminate the ability of terrorists to plan and carry out
future atrocities. We have agreed today that the United States and the
EU will vigorously pursue cooperation in the following areas in order to
reduce vulnerabilities in our societies:

Aviation and other transport security
Police and judicial cooperation, including extradition
Denial of financing of terrorism, including financial sanctions
Denial of other means of support to terrorists
Export control and nonproliferation
Border controls, including visa and document security issues
Law enforcement access to information and exchange of electronic data "

[End]

Released on September 20, 2001
"

http://state.gov/