Reiswaarschuwing Australie ivm Y2K

Dirk van der Woude vdwoude at CISTRON.NL
Sat Feb 27 00:14:22 CET 1999

Australie, vooroplopend in de aanpak van de bug,
bracht vandaag een reiswaarschuwing uit
(http://www.dfat.gov.au/consular/advice/y2k.html)
Bottom line: we doen ons best, maar hou er rekening
mee dat we straks weinig voor u kunnen doen.

Wellicht een idee in ons land te overwegen of
dit voorbeeld geen navolging verdient.

Australians travelling abroad in the period late 1999
to early 2000, should be aware that the "millennium bug"
may cause breakdowns in some essential services in some
countries. Australians may experience disruption to their business, personal
or holiday plans caused by breakdown
in a variety of services including transport, medical,
police, financial, telecommunications and other
essential public services including power and water
supply.
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade wishes to
advise Australian travellers that some computer based
systems around the world may be unable to process
information correctly, receive or interact with
other systems over the millennium. This may cause
some systems to malfunction.

The Australian Government and our missions abroad
are making special efforts to ensure that the effects
of the millennium bug on our operations are minimised.
However, Australian travellers and family and
friends at home should be aware that our Embassies
and High Commissions might also experience difficulties. Australians should
know that in some instances
these difficulties may prevent us providing full
consular support.