China - war and the West?

Arie Dirkzwager aried at XS4ALL.NL
Fri Aug 13 15:53:12 CEST 1999

>Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:20:00 -0700
>From: Wally Du Temple <esperanto at home.com>
>To: post-gpty-intl <post-gpty-intl at greens.org>,
>        "post-gpty-canada at greens.org" <post-gpty-canada at greens.org>
>Subject: China - war and the West?
>Newsgroups: gpty.intl
>
>August 8, 1999
>
>China Ponders New Rules of 'Unrestricted War'
>
>By John Pomfret
>
>BEIJING-In 1996, colonels Qiao Liang and Wang Xiangsui were in Fujian
>province for military exercises aimed at threatening the island of Taiwan.
>As Chinese M9 intermediate-range missiles splashed into waters off two main
>southern Taiwanese ports, the United States dispatched two aircraft carrier
>battle groups to the region.
>
>Like most Chinese officers, the colonels were furious at the U.S. move,
>seeing it as another sign of American interference in China's internal
>affairs. But to Qiao and Wang, the first crisis in the Taiwan Strait was
>also a lesson.
>
>"We realized that if China's military was to face off against the United
>States, we would not be sufficient," said Wang, an air force colonel in the
>Guangzhou military district's political department. "So we realized that
>China needs a new strategy to right the balance of power."
>
>Their response was to write a book called "Unrestricted War," which has
>become one of the hottest of a new series of military publications that
>haunt China's strategic planners, as well as many average citizens, with
>these questions:
>
>How does a relatively weak country like China stand up to a powerful nation
>like the United States? How should China's military modernization program
>be modified to ensure that China gets the biggest bang for the yuan? And
>how can China, which dreams of reuniting with Taiwan, ensure that the
>United States, which is legally bound to protect the island, thinks twice
>about getting militarily involved in any showdown across the Taiwan Strait?
>
>Among their sometimes creative and sometimes shocking proposals for dealing
>with a powerful adversary are terrorism, drug trafficking, environmental
>degradation and computer virus propagation. The authors include a flow
>chart of 24 different types of war and argue that the more complicated the
>combination -- for example, terrorism plus a media war plus a financial war
>-- the better the results. From that perspective, "Unrestricted War"
>marries the Chinese classic, "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu, with modern
>military technology and economic globalization.
>
>"Unrestricted War is a war that surpasses all boundaries and restrictions,"
>they write at one point. "It takes nonmilitary forms and military forms and
>creates a war on many fronts. It is the war of the future."
>
>The book is an important expression of China's feelings of powerlessness
>when confronted by U.S. might. By discussing terrorism and other
> [...]
BetterSystems,
Prof.Dr.A.Dirkzwager,
Educational Instrumentation Technology,
Computers in Education.
Huizerweg 62,
1402 AE Bussum,
The Netherlands.
voice: x31-35-6981676
E-mail: mailto:aried at xs4all.nl

When reading the works of an important thinker, look first for the
apparent absurdities in the text and ask yourself how a sensible person
could have written them."  T. S. Kuhn,  The Essential Tension (1977).